BEARD AND MOUSTACHE TRANSPLANT
Beard and moustache is an integral part of a man’s personality, needless to say. In our part of the country, beard and moustache are considered an integral part of society too. There are few conditions where beard or moustache or both beard and moustache transplant may be required.
1. Genetically there is an absence of both beard and moustache. This is seen is some cases of Klinefelter syndrome. In cases who have fully expressed there, genes can be diagnosed at an early age. But some subtle cases only show an absence of beard and moustache and just feminine distribution of fat. In these cases, scalp hair are very strong as there is relatively less concentration of circulating DHT.
2. In some scenarios, Beard and moustache have grown but growth is too patchy. In such cases beard and mustache transplant gives best results
3. Accidents, burn cases where deep burns, led to the destruction of hair follicles.
In all of above cases if we have enough of hair density on scalp or on other parts of beard ,we can go for hair transplant .
The technique of beard and moustache transplant remains almost the same, like scalp hair transplant. The only difference remains that the slit size we use is very small and most of the hair we use for transplant are single root grafts. It’s a time-consuming and laborious job at the end of the surgeon and needs a lot of experience.
Donor area in case of beard and moustache can be beard itself, an area near the neck and under the chin. The donor area can be regular donor area like the scalp, but we have to be careful that the calibre and thickness of hair used in facial transplant must be very thin and should be near the calibre of existing facial hair.
There are a few precautions in the case of beard and moutache transplant / facial hair transplant.
1. One has to avoid solid and hard food for a few days after the procedure.
2. Smiling, laughing and extreme facial movements should be avoided for 24 hours.
3. Injury can be very detrimental in the case of a beard transplant, there can be severe bleeding and can lead to some bald spots over the beard once final results are achieved.
4. Hair growth starts around 2 months in a beard transplant and continues till one year.
5. We need to apply certain medications over a beard transplant to ensure thick and best growth.
6. Multivitamin tabs are given for approx 8 to 9 months so that optimum blood levels of microelements are present in the blood.
Strong moustache for a masculine look is in trend these days. This type of shape can easily be created with hair transplant. to create strong moustache we need scalp follicles and as much as 1800 to 2000 grafts can be placed only in moustache to give a fuller look. This procedure will take around 6 to 8 hours and we do not trim the moustcahe in most of the cases. hair follicles are inserted in between the existing follicles. Results in such case is possible in around 6 to 8 months.